Whether you are an Influencer, an entrepreneur, or work a 9-5 getting enough rest is key. Did you know that more than one-third of American adults don’t receive the recommended seven or more hours of sleep each night? For me, a productive day starts the night before and with the right community. When you are well rested you have more energy and confidence to focus on your life goals. Keep reading for some of my favorite ways to wind down:
- No Phone Zone - Try designating your bedroom as a "No Phone Zone." Leave your phone outside of your bedroom so that you won't be tempted to respond to late night texts or scroll on social media.
- Alarm clock - Go old school. Instead of relying on your cell phone to wake you up try a traditional alarm clock. Place it a few feet away from your bed so that you have to make an extra effort.
Ambient Lighting - Are your lights too bright? According to MyPlus:
Light exposure at night also stimulates alertness—and that can pose a serious problem for healthy, abundant, refreshing sleep
Change the lighting in your bedroom by swapping your lightbulbs. Try Low-Blue Light bulbs or Light Bulbs with dimmers.
- Books: So now what do you do after you have left your cell phone outside of your bedroom and dimmed the lights? Cuddle up with a book. Instead of eBooks try a physical book. Lately I have been reading a chapter or two before bed. I really enjoy fiction books over self- help books.
- Tea - Brew a cup of tea before you hop in the bed to relax. Choose white or herbal teas. Be sure to avoid black and green teas as those have the most caffeine.
- Dehumidifiers - Did you know that the quality of your air can affect the quality of your sleep? Dehumidifiers can range in sizes up to 199 sq ft to 1500 sq ft and above. According to Sleepopolis:
- Balancing the amount of moisture in the air through the use of a dehumidifier can help create a comfortable atmosphere for sleep which can reverberate across your waking hours as well.
- Essential Oils- Follow your nose! Essential oils are plant- based and usually made by grinding and steaming plant parts. Aromatherapy may just help you sleep better. Lavender, bergamot, chamomile, and clary sage oil are my favorite and love kits that feature a variety.
- Deep Breaths - Paying attention to your breathing may help you get the rest you deserve. Breath in, count to three, breathe out. Repeat if needed. Check out Healthline for The 9 Best Breathing Techniques for Sleep.
- Bubble Bath - Unwind after a long day with a warm, relaxing bubble bath. I love to pair bath bombs with a scented candle while listening to my favorite songs.
- Self Massage - Time to get up and personal with yourself! Natural Body recommends three types of massages: face massages, head massages and foot reflexology. You may even get a deep tissue massager for full body coverage.
Now that you have learned 10 techniques for your best sleep ever, sign up for The Flourish app waitlist to find your accountability community!